October 16 is celebrated as World Food Day across the world. Started in 1945 by United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organisation, the day is a sober reminder of the challenges the world faces when it comes to feeding its 7.6 billion (and rising) population.
Every year the theme changes to highlight areas needed action and to provide a common focus for all the participating nations. The theme for the year 2017 is changing the future of migration and investing in food security and rural development, reflecting both the major issues facing the world viz., increased conflict and migration from countries in Africa, Syria and even Myanmar as well as climate change that is wreaking havoc on crops and farmers’ sustenance.
On the occasion of #WorldFood Day, here are seven facts you probably didn’t know about food from India and across the world that highlights the problems we need to overcome soon.
1. The GHI (Global Hunger Index) - is designed to comprehensively measure and track hunger globally and by country and region. India ranks at number 100 out of 119 countries on the list this year, slipping 3 positions from number 97 in 2016. In fact, India has recorded the ‘lowest reduction in hunger’ over the past nine years. For context, Bangladesh and even North Korea rank higher than India
2. One third of the food produced worldwide is wasted.
3. Around 45% of infant deaths are related to malnutrition.
4. Close to 1.9 billion people i.e. more than a quarter of the world’s population – are overweight.
5. About 800 million people (or one in every nine people) across the globe are suffering from hunger due to non-availability of food.
6. Approximately 80% of the world’s extreme poor live in the rural areas and depend on agriculture. Food insecurity threatens their livelihood and community ways in more ways than one.
7. Over 60 crore people in India suffer from nutritional deficiencies, making it the leading health condition that needs to be focused on. Malnutrition is another area that requires greater attention.
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories