December is here!
And with the last month of the year comes chilly weather. These are times that you need something stronger than your regular cuppa to keep you warm.
Here are 10 cocktails that will not only keep you warm but also add a festive cheer on dreary days. Be sure to get your friends and family together when you mixing up these drinks for an extra dose of bliss.
1. Orange Eclipse
60ml Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
30ml Blood Orange or Bitter Orange
15ml Rosso Vermouth
4 Dashes of Bitters
Add all ingredients to shaker, add ice, shake and strain into a chilled coupe, garnish with orange peel.
2. Thyme Bees Knees
60 ml The Botanist Gin
20 ml Fresh Lemon Juice
15 ml Honey (dilute with a bit of hot water)
4 Thyme Sprigs
Dash of Black Pepper
- In your shaker combine The Botanist gin, lemon juice, honey dilution and thyme sprigs (mash these in the tin), shake with ice.
- Double strain into an old-fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a dash of freshly ground black pepper, lemon wheel & thyme sprigs.
3. Hot Gin Old Fashioned
50 ml Hendrick's Gin
10 ml Sugar Syrup
3 Dashes of Orange Bitters
50 ml Boiling Water with a twist of orange
- Gently heat first 3 ingredients in a pan.
- Add 50ml boiling water.
- Serve in a tankard or teacup and garnish with an orange twist.
4. Marmalade & Rosemary Old Fashioned
60 ml The Botanist Gin
15 ml Fresh Lime Juice
10 ml Agave Syrup/Honey Syrup
6 Cucumber Wheels
2 Rosemary Sprigs
5 ml Rose Water
1 barspoon Marmalade of your choice
- Muddle all the ingredients together with the gin in a cocktail shaker,
- Add ice, shake and strain into a tumbler.
- Serve on the rocks with a rosemary sprig and dehydrated citrus wheel.
5. Apple Winter Toddy
45 ml Caorunn Gin
125 ml cloudy apple juice
dash of port wine
20 ml lemon juice
2 teaspoons of caster sugar
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Warm all ingredients apart from the gin in a pan.
- Build the drink in your toddy glass by topping the gin with the warm liquid
- Garnish with orange and berries with a sprig of rosemary.
6. Hot Spiced Apple (Serves 4)
750 ml Spiced Apple Juice (2 cloves, 2 crushed cardamom, 2 star anise, juniper berries, peel of 1 orange)
150 ml Hendrick's Gin
- Simmer the apple juice with spices in a pan.
- Add Hendrick's Gin.
- Serve in a tankard or teacup and garnish with three slices of apple and a dusting of nutmeg.
7. Caorunn Alexander
37½ ml Caorunn Gin
12½ ml Crème De Cacao White
25 ml Cream
12 ½ml Milk
- Add all ingredients in a shaker, shake and double strain into a coupette.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and star anise with fresh nutmeg garnish.
8. The Old Pulteney Highball
35 ml Old Pulteney 12YO
20 ml fresh pink grapefruit juice
10 ml vanilla syrup
Top with ginger ale
- Stir all ingredients except ginger ale over cubed ice in a highball glass.
- Top with cubed ice and finish with ginger ale.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
9. Cup O’ Tea
50 ml Grant’s Family Reserve
75 ml Tea
10 ml Honey or Maple Syrup
- Brew tea and add ice to a shaker.
- Add all ingredients and shake vigorously.
- Strain in a tea cup and top with grated nutmeg.
Also Read: Top 5 Whisky Brands to Try Now
10. Remy Ginger Reimagined
50 ml Remy Martin VSOP
25 ml Pear Tea Shrub
12.5 ml Grapefruit Syrup
Top Ginger Ale
Pear Tea Shrub:
* 500ml Pear Tea
* 500 gm Sugar
* 350ml Apple Cider Vinegar
* 2 gm Fine Salt
* 2 gm Cracked Black Pepper
* Zest of 1 Orange.
* 25ml Full Cream Full Sherry
- Mix 500 ml Grapefruit Juice with 500 gm sugar. Combine on medium heat in pot, stir until sugar dissolves and take off the heat.
- Make a 1:1 syrup with the pear tea and the sugar. Add all other ingredients to the syrup (off the heat), allow to infuse for 2-3 hours and strain.
- In a highball glass, steadily pour all the ingredients. Garnish with dehydrated grapefruit half.
Also Read: Everything You Need to Know About Cognac
Featured image: Shutterstock.com