The finale! Today was my last day and when I looked back on the last few days, I felt a sense of achievement. The challenge taught me a lot of things about food in general and sugar in particular that otherwise I would have never discovered.
- The biggest lesson I learned was - portion control. Every time I craved for something sweet, I would eat all of it, be it a pack of biscuit or a slice of cake. Not even a morsel would be left behind! During this challenge, I had learned that every time you crave for sugar, either opt for natural sugars like fruits, nuts, jaggery, honey and maple syrup or have a bite of the sweet-treat and wait. Usually, the cravings subsides.
- Eat balanced meals. Regular exercise or meditation can also help to curb the cravings as it increases blood-flow, reduces stress and increases metabolism.
- Initially, my stomach used to have bloating issues, which reduced drastically as I had given up artificial sugar. Also, my skin could feel the difference in my skin and felt more energetic.
- This challenge also helped me to develop some amount of resistance towards sweet things.
- Apart from bringing change in my lifestyle, I have also encouraged my family members to avoid excess refined sugar and read labels before buying any edible product.
Try this even if you don’t have a sweet-tooth. Try it for fun like I did and you’ll understand how much sugar you unknowingly consume every day.
And yes, my team did gift me a rich chocolate pastry and I did share it with everyone as my heart was satisfied after two bites!
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories