You don’t always need sugar, spice and everything nice to make a killer cup of coffee, at least not the Vietnamese way. To make the exotic brew that is gaining popularity around the world, all you need is coffee, ice and condensed milk. You mix, you blend. This rich and lip-smackingly sweet drink is akin to melted coffee ice cream, and can be extremely satisfying. Here are two ways to make this drink at home:
If you are pressed for time:
- In a cocktail shaker, take some ice cubes. Pour 3 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk.
- Follow this up with an espresso shot (made of 2 tablespoons dark-roast ground coffee that’s laced with chicory).
- Cover the shaker and give it a good, vigorous jiggle for about 30 seconds.
- Transfer this concoction into a fresh glass that’s full of ice cubes.
Also read: How to clean your coffee machine
If you have the luxury of time:
- You will need a stainless steel Vietnamese coffee filter that can be bought online.
- Take two tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk in a heatproof 350ml glass or measuring cup.
- In the meantime, bring one cup of water to a boil on the stove.
- Remove the porous top screen from the metal filter, and add two tablespoons of dark-roast ground coffee (that’s laced with chicory, preferably). Now, secure the top screen.
- Place this metal filter over the heatproof glass that contains the condensed milk.
- Add two tablespoons of the boiling hot water into the metal filter; this will allow the coffee grounds to expand.
- Wait for 30 seconds or till the coffee begins to drip through into the glass placed below. Then, add enough water to fill the filter.
- Cover the filter with the lid and let the coffee drip for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the metal filter. Stir until the coffee and the condensed milk are fully blended.
- Pour this concoction into a fresh glass filled with ice. Stir again, and serve.
Also read: Fancy kitchen tools for at-home masterchefs
Images courtesy: Shutterstock
Must try: Quick coffee rasgulla by Ranveer Brar
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories