Following a vegan lifestyle is tough! And it gets tougher when you cannot enjoy cheese in your pizzas and burgers. We know how much you miss that creamy scoop of delight on your food. But not anymore, Chef Prateek Sadhu, Executive Chef of Masque in Mumbai, will rescue you with an easy, dairy-free, vegan cheese recipe that you can make at home.
Recipe: Cashew Cheese
1/3 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight in a cup of water)
1 heaped tbsp + 1.5 tsp nutritional yeast
1.5 tsp starch of your choice (tapioca/arrowroot/corn)
1.5 tsp agar-agar powder
1 tbsp + 2 tsp lemon juice
½ cup + ½ cup water
Salt to taste
- In a saucepan, mix agar-agar in ½ cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Drain off the water from cashews and rinse well.
- In a food processor, throw in the cashews with nutritional yeast, starch, salt, lemon juice and ½ cup of water. Make a smooth paste and add the agar-agar mixture.
- Bring this to a boil on low-medium heat until it gets a thick pancake-batter consistency. Quickly transfer it into ramekins. (Note: You can make 1½ ramekin-size cheese with these quantities.)
- Refrigerate for an hour. Carefully remove your non-dairy cheese from the ramekin and grate it on your pizzas.
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories