Looking for a quick and easy chicken starter recipe? Chicken 65 is the perfect spicy chicken dish that packs a punch of flavour in your meal. The origin of the chicken 65 recipe can be traced back to 1965 in Chennai. Though it is not distinctly clear how this chicken dish got its name, some say that the chicken dish was a quick meal solution for Indian soldiers back in 1965. Meanwhile, others claim that the name chicken 65 was used because the dish contained 65 chilli pepper. According to Amit Bajaj, Head Chef of Restaurants, Foodlink, this tangy and spicy chicken dish got its name because it was introduced in 1965.
First introduced by AM Buhari from the popular hotel chain, the dish quickly gained popularity. Soon after, several fine dining restaurants started offering chicken 78, 82 and 90 in the respective years of introduction. In fact, these chicken dishes were even served for Rs 78, Rs 82 and Rs 90 respectively.
Chicken 65 is made by frying batter-coated pieces of chicken. There are both boneless and bone-in chicken variations of this chicken dish. Chicken 65 is usually served with some freshly cut onion rings and lemon garnish. The vegetarian variations of this chicken dish use paneer and cauliflower instead and are called Paneer 65 and Gobi 65.
Chicken 65 Recipe
To make the perfect restaurant-style chicken 65 at home, follow this chicken 65 recipe by chef Amit Bajaj. You will need chicken, coriander powder, curd, green chilli, refined oil, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, curry leaves, tomato ketchup and salt. Follow the step-by-step recipe below to know how to make the perfect restaurant-style chicken 65.
1) Take 450 grams of chicken and wash it thoroughly in cold running water. Cut it into chunks and keep it aside.
2) For the marination, take a bowl and add 2 grams of red chilli powder, 15 grams of coriander powder, 2 grams of turmeric powder, 200 grams of curd and salt as per taste. Mix all the ingredients well.
3) Add the chopped chicken pieces to this mix and coat all the chicken pieces well with this mixture. Keep it aside for about four to six hours. This will allow the meat to soak up all the flavour.
4) Take a deep-bottomed pan and heat about 10 ml of refined oil in it on a moderate flame.
5) Once the oil is sufficiently hot, carefully place the marinated chicken pieces one by one in the pan and shallow fry them till cooked or golden on both sides.
6) Now, add 10 grams of green chillies, toss in six to eight curry leaves and 30 grams of tomato ketchup. Toss all of this well so that all the chicken pieces are coated evenly.
7) Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs and onion rings. Your chicken 65 is ready to serve!
Chicken 65 Gravy
If you want to turn your chicken 65 into a gravy-based chicken dish, Chef Rubal Pupneja, Hotel Samrat, ITDC says you can easily do that with just a simple step. For making the gravy-based version of the chicken 65 recipe, make some extra yogurt-based marinade mix. After the step of sautéing the green chillies and curry leaves with the fried chicken pieces, add the extra marinade to make a gravy or sauce out of your chicken 65. Then simply garnish with coriander sprigs and onion rings.
You can serve chicken 65 as a starter or as a quick snack by rolling it with chapati or roti. Have it as a simple snack with the drinks of your choice.
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories