Chilli chicken belongs to Indo Chinese cuisine or popularly known as desi Chinese. Flavours of this Indian street style Chinese food has tickled the taste buds of people across the country. The unique cuisine of desi Chinese has its beginnings in Kolkatta. The very first restaurant to offer desi Chinese was Eau Chew in Kolkatta. Soon many restaurants and street food stalls began dishing out their own variations of delicious Hakka cuisine.
Desi Chinese cuisine is the perfect fusion of Chinese cooking techniques combined with additional seasoning. These added flavours are used to spice up the dish to suit the Indian palate, turning Chinese food into desi Chinese. The result is a variety of perfectly mouth-watering, sweet and spicy dishes such as chilli chicken, schezwan chicken, manchurian chicken and jalfrezi chicken. Most of these dishes have no resemblance to authentic Chinese cuisine which is why they needed a cuisine of their own, desi Chinese.
One of the most popular dishes from Indian street style Chinese food is chilli chicken. The chilli chicken recipe is a delicious combination of batter fried diced chicken tossed in spicy sauce and garnished with onion greens. Chilli chicken is the go-to food for any kind of celebratory meal particularly because it is so easy and quick to make. Chilli chicken also has some vegetarian alternatives such as paneer chilli, gobi chilli and mushroom chilli.
Though the restaurant-style chilli chicken is a delicious delight, it is deep fried and contains additives like Ajinomoto, which is used extensively in desi Chinese cuisine as a flavour enhancer. So, if you wish to make the chilli chicken recipe in a simpler way, here is the perfect recipe for you! This chilli chicken recipe is an easy way to make the desi Chinese dish at home. It can be your go-to starter or main course as well. Follow the step-by-step instructions below to make delicious home-style chilli chicken recipe under 30 minutes.
Simple home-style chilli chicken recipe
400 grams chicken breast
Crushed black pepper, salt as required
5 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons red chili sauce
5 tablespoons corn flour
8-10 garlic cloves
3 bell peppers
1 cup chicken stock (optional)
1. Start the chilli chicken recipe by thoroughly cleaning chicken breasts and then cutting them into small pieces.
2. Next, marinate the diced pieces of chicken breast with some crushed pepper, salt, dark soya sauce, red chilli sauce, white vinegar, corn flour and an egg. Mix well and keep it aside. While the chicken pieces soak the flavours from the marinade, take the time to chop the vegetables and prepare for rest of the chilli chicken recipe.
3. Heat some oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated chicken pieces till they turn golden brown. Once done, remove it on a plate lined with some paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.
4. Further in the chilli chicken recipe, take a wok and add some oil. Toss some chopped red chilies and chopped garlic followed by sliced green, red and yellow peppers along with some onions. Saute the vegetables well.
5. Add the fried chicken to the wok and top the ingredients with some dark soy sauce. Mix well and then remove from the heat.
6. Garnish with some chopped spring onions and serve.
Gravy Chilli Chicken Recipe
Chilli chicken is a popular starter dish but you can make a gravy-based chilli chicken and serve it as a main course dish as well. To make gravy chilli chicken recipe, follow the above chilli chicken recipe up to step 5.
6. After adding soy sauce to the ingredients in the wok, pour in a cup of chicken stock and cornstarch mixed with water. Cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with some chopped spring onion greens and serve hot. Gravy chilli chicken can be served with plain steamed rice, fried rice or noodles as per your liking.
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories