It’s a popular superfood, the Kardashians swear by this fruit, and those on the Keto diet binge on this—we are talking about the single-seeded avocado. Think avocado and we think guacamole—the versatile dip that’s creamy, rich and has the right balance of flavours. Dunk your chips or crisps into it, or spread it on some crispy toast to make a hors d'oeuvre, or whip together a salad with a few spoons of this delicious blend. Here’s an easy guacamole recipe to make from scratch, with fresh ingredients.
Easy Guacamole Recipe
1 small tomato, pulverised or chopped
3 ripe avocados
½ cup onions, finely chopped
½ or 1 jalapeno, chopped
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
1 lime, juiced
1. Start with the ripe avocados. Cut them lengthwise around the seed; rotate the halves to separate. Deseed by sliding the tip of a spoon gently underneath the seed and lifting it out. You could peel the avocado with a knife or your fingers; or you could also simply scoop out the avocado meat with a spoon.
2. Add the peeled and pitted avocados into a mixing bowl along with chopped onions and tomatoes for texture; pay attention to the quantity as too many tomatoes may make the dip too watery.
3. Throw in the chopped or crushed jalapeno for spice and crunch. Sprinkle the chopped cilantro for freshness, and season with salt (and some pepper if you like) to taste. Finish off with a squeeze of lime as this will enhance the buttery nature of the avocado.
4. Roughly mash all the components with a fork or a pestle. You don’t want to aggressively crush the ingredients as this dip is best served chunky, rather than pasty.
5. Transfer the guacamole into a serving bowl. You can serve fresh. Else, cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate to prevent any discolouration.
TIP: Guacamole is as delicious as it is good for you. You can vary the portions of the ingredients going into the guacamole to find your own winning formula. Taste as you move along. Some like to add garlic and cayenne pepper to their dip too.
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories