Plum, the juicy and fleshy fruit is the flavour of the season. These deep red, bite-sized goodness are not just a delight for the eyes, but are also a power-house of nutrients. Here’s your handy guide on how to buy, store and cook with plums.
How to buy:
While buying plums, pick the ones which are without blemishes or wrinkles and ensure that the peel is intact.
Unripe plums have a glossy taut skin with a yellowish tint.
Do not buy hard plums as they are immature and won’t taste good even after they turn a deep red colour.
If you wish to consume the fruit immediately, look for ripe plums, which are slightly soft at the tip. Ripe plums have a subtle aroma and a rich colour that you can’t miss.
If the fruit is unripe, store it in room temperature and allow it to ripen. Check regularly to ensure that it doesn’t overripe and get mushy.
The ripened ones can be stored in the fridge and must be consumed within 4-5 days. You can eat the whole fruit, prepare mojitos or even jams to dig into when the season ends.
“Purple foods like plums, prunes, grapes, etc. are packed with antioxidants that lower cholesterol and boost your immunity. A stronger immune system helps you prevent a host of diseases. Also, plums help to lower blood pressure as they have a low calorie-count. It is also a very good source of fiber which helps to prevent constipation,” says Mumbai-based nutritionist Naini Setalvad.
Plum Jam Recipe
2 kg plums, roughly chopped
2 cups caster sugar
½ tbsp lemon juice
Cinnamon powder to taste
Water as required
1. Take roughly chopped plums in a cooking pot. Allow it to cook on a low flame and stir occasionally so that the fruit doesn’t stick to the bottom.
2. Then, add caster sugar. After as few minutes, add the lemon juice and stir.
3. Cook until the plums soften and the sugar is incorporated into the mixture.
4. Sprinkle cinnamon powder to taste.
5. Store the yummy jam in jars and enjoy it with toasts, cakes, rotis, parathas and more.
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories