How Eva Ekeblad’s Google Doodle Inspired this Recipe
Potato flour is now a go-to option for those on a gluten-free diet, thanks to Swedish scientist, Eva Ekeblad.
Potato flour is now touted as one of the go-to options for those on a gluten-free diet. And we need to thank Swedish scientist and agronomist, Eva Ekeblad for making this ingenious discovery.
Google has dedicated a doodle in honour of her 293rd birthday. Born into an aristocratic Swedish family in 1724, Ekeblad found the method to dry and powder potatoes by conducting extensive experiments. This addressed the larger problem of famines in Sweden as potato flour was used for cooking and baking, when there was an acute shortage of rye, barley and wheat. It was also used as a primary ingredient in spirits like vodka and wine.
For her inimitable contribution, Eva was the first woman to be elected in the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1748.
Also Read:Banana Flour: The Indigenous Superfood You Need in Life
As a tribute to this extraordinary woman and food revolutionary, we spoke to Chef Arpita Paliwal of Mumbai's One Point Six who created this recipe from scratch.
Veggie Frittata with Tomato Pesto
1 cup potato flour
1 tbsp onion, grated
1 cup mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, bell peppers), finely chopped
1 tbsp sweet corn
1 tbsp sundried tomatoes, soaked in water and finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp Mozarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 cups water
2 tbsp oil and some extra for greasing the pan
Salt to taste
Oregano and Paprika to taste
Herbs and Cherry Tomatoes, chopped for garnishing
2 med-sized tomatoes
1 cup packed basil
1 tbsp cashews
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp garlic
1. Heat few drops of oil in a pan.
2. Add onion and garlic, and sauté till golden brown.
3. Add all the vegetables, sun-dried tomatoes and a pinch of salt and toss lightly. Season with herbs of choice - oregano and paprika work brilliantly. Take off from the flame and set aside to cool.
4. Take a bowl and mix potato flour, chickpea flour, milk and water. Now, put the vegetable mixture. Check for salt and ensure that the batter is of pouring consistency but not too runny.
5. Grease a pan lightly and spoon the batter in a smooth round shape. Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 4-5 minutes. Flip it over and cook the other side till brown.
6. Garnish with chopped fresh herbs and cherry tomatoes.
Must Try: Frittata by Chef Rakhee Vaswani
For the pesto
1. Blanch the tomatoes, skin them, deseed and blend with the remaining ingredients till smooth.
2. Tip- Add some ice while blending to get a fresh green colour. Add some tabasco if you like the pesto to be fiery.
Vegan Approved: Replace chickpea flour with tapioca flour, and use coconut milk instead of dairy milk.
Creative by Vartika Pahuja
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories