Wheatgrass, the freshly sprouted leaves of the wheat plant, is hailed as a superfood for its miraculous benefits. Thanks to the high amount of vitamins A, B-complex, C, proteins and amino acids, this green ingredient makes for an excellent dietary supplement. Not just health enthusiasts but also celebrities such as Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts and Liz Hurley swear by this green drink. It is easily available in the form of frozen juice, tablets and organic powder and can boost of nutrition to your daily diet.
We spoke to some Mumbai-based chefs to compile a list of their favourite wheatgrass smoothie recipes that you can easily whip up at home.
Vegan Wheatgrass Smoothie
½ cup tender coconut water: 1/2 cup
¼ cup spinach leaves
20 gms fresh wheatgrass or 1 tbsp of wheatgrass powder
3/4 ripe banana
½ cup almond milk
Few ice cubes
1. Throw in all the ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth.
2. Serve chilled with your breakfast or you can also have it as your post-workout drink.
Recipe shared by Chef Rakhee Vaswani
Wheatgrass and avocado smoothie
1.5 cups wheatgrass
1 cup kale
½ an avocado
¼ cup pineapple
¼ cup water
Few cubes of ice
1. Add all ingredients into a blender and top it with ice as per your requirement. The amount of ice you add will change the consistency of your smoothie.
2. Blend all the ingredients long enough that everything is fully dissolved, especially the kale leaves. Pour in a mason jar and relish this healthy drink.
Recipe shared by Chef Amit Vaidya, Grandmama's Cafe
Wheatgrass and coconut smoothie
1 frozen banana
1 cup arugula
1 tsp wheatgrass powder
150 ml coconut milk
Water to dilute
1. Toss all the above-mentioned ingredients in a blender and blend it till you get a smooth and thick consistency.
2. Sip it along with your breakfast. The banana and coconut milk will help neutralise the taste of wheatgrass, which makes this drink even more refreshing.
Recipe by shared by Monaz Irani, Head Chef and Founder of Plate & Pint
Anti-ageing Wheatgrass and Sugarcane Juice
1 tsp dried and crushed wheatgrass
350 ml fresh sugarcane juice
1. In a bottle, pour chilled sugarcane juice and add the wheatgrass powder. Close the bottle.
2. Shake the bottle vigourously to mix the ingredients. Pour it in a glass, garnish it with sprigs of wheatgrass and enjoy it sip by sip. You can also add a pinch of Himalayan salt and lime for extra zing!
Recipe shared by beverage consultant, Jasmeet Khanna of Cane Juicery.
To feed your hunger for more