If American pop star Justin Beiber’s new track, Yummy, has become a sensation, it’s not without reason. Perpetrated by lockdown-inflicted boredom and solitary confinement, aka social distancing, the period of quarantine has slowly become breeding ground for a host of unsuspecting chefs, with some – who hadn’t even cooked instant noodles before – donning the apron at home. From our lifestyles to our social media feeds, everything is helluva Yummy right now.
The issue is, not everyone has the time to sit through an entire food show or the access to grand ingredients and kitchen equipment to replicate one of YouTube’s elaborate recipes or Instagram’s visually titillating dishes. But then, as intimidating and overwhelming as cooking might be, one still needs to eat.
Enter TikTok – a Chinese short-form video sharing platform, which enjoying its time in the sun. First, it brought us the viral Dalgona coffee, aka phenti hui coffee, showing us that it is possible to become a barista at home. Shedding its image as an app for, of, and by teens, TikTok has now, emerged as a reliable platform for fashion, music, dance, beauty, and of course, food. The platform is a treasure trove for easy cooking tips, featuring a tidal wave of simple recipes and time-saving hacks.
But what makes TikTok truly pathbreaking, is how accessible it is. With users spanning from age 16 to 60 and an easily decipherable interface, it has lured in Indians and netizens from all social strata. Shun off the hoity-toity aesthete that has become integral to Instagram or pro-video-making skills required for Youtube, TikTok is a genuine, approachable app for all. No wonder it has grown to become the most downloaded app during the Covid-19 induced period of lockdown in India. So, whether you have a fancy kitchen set-up or the humble chulha from yore, food-wise, there’s something for everyone. Plus, TikTok videos last a paltry 15 to 60 seconds, making it perfect for attention deficient millennials and Gen-Z netizens. Meaning, you can watch as many as 60 to 240 TikTok videos in just an hour! Must say, the baap of all culinary schools.
To discover the fast-growing, but still an untapped world of cooking video on TikTok, you can search for #cooking, #recipe, #tiktokchef or #15secondchef on the Discover section of the app. But why bother? Just check this out.
1. Nobody needs a reason to eat a cake. But TikTok’s viral Oreo mug cake is a special find. All you need for TikTok user, @Salt_to_Taste’s Oreo mug cake, is a microwave, a mug, a few Oreos, milk, baking powder (optional) and toppings of your choice.
2. Nobody can eat just one, might have been Lays’ mantra, but hello, we have calories to watch. This chip-bag-sealing hack, also shared by Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi on Twitter is for keeps.
3. This intelligent breakfast sandwich recipe by TikTok user @aldentedivax, now viral, makes use of just one pan.
4. Here’s an easy five-ingredient chocolate chip peanut butter cookie recipe, originally shared by @everydaychiffon. You’ll y need – a cup of brown sugar a peanut butter each, one large egg, a teaspoon of baking soda and half-a-cup of chocolate chips.
5. Another cooking trend that has been going viral on TikTok is the 3-ingredient crème brulée recipe. Made with ice cream, egg yolks, and sugar, this low-effort crème brulée is comfort food at its best.
6. Craving McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets? @nishcooks shows you, how it’s done in less than a minute.
7. Replicate @red_beard_bro’s 2-ingredient dessert – which has 2.7 million likes –at home with this video.
8. Discovered via TikTok user @AnikaF, who highly recommends the hack, MakeMeACocktail is an app that lists cocktail recipes based on the at-home ingredients you punch into the details. Plus, it suggests wines that you can add to your dishes.
9. If you need some inspo for your #procrastibaking activity, here’s an easy banana bread recipe for you to get started.
10. Well, doughnuts might not be an “essential good” in the strict sense of speaking, but for those with a sweet tooth, @nickoskitchen’s Krispy Kreme doughnuts recipe video comes as a huge respite.