Chutneys are essential accompaniments in a South Indian meal. These multi-tasking concoctions not only elevate the taste of a meal, but also aid digestion.
Whether they coat every bite of idli with flavour, make every morsel of dosa a delicious affair, or even serve as sandwich spreads, chutneys are the quintessential saviours.
Thakkali Thogayal is the famous tomato chutney from Tamil Nadu and we have the recipe for you.
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
3 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
2 Byadgi chillies, dry (can be more depending on taste)
1 tbsp imli soaked in water
1 tsp jaggery
Pinch of hing
Salt as per taste
Oil, Few curry leaves and some mustard seeds for tempering
1. Heat the oil in a kadha and add the onions. Stir them for a minute.
2. Now, add the tomatoes and stir till the tomatoes are completely cooked.
3. Put the byadgi chillies that will deepen the red hue of the chutney.
4. Add salt and hing. Give it a quick stir.
5. Allow the chutney to cool. Then give it a quick blitz in a mixer. Keep aside
6. Now, add the imli and jaggery. Mix well and taste to see if all the flavours have been incorporated.
7. Heat some oil in a kadhai for tempering. Once it reaches the smoking point, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
8. Now, turn off the gas and add the chutney to kadhai for tempering. Mix well.
9. Allow it to cool and serve with dosa or idlis.
With inputs from Chef Jinesh Joseph, Visiting Chef at JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu.
Image used for representational purpose only
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories