Celebrate World Idli Day With These Easy-Peasy Recipes
Given today is World Idli Day, here are some super-easy and yummy idli recipes to help you celebrate the humble South Indian dish
The highly nutritious and simplest of all food items, the humble idli, gets its very own day to celebrate its goodness and why not? March 30 is that time of the year where this white wonder, and it’s many other versions, are paid an ode for being one of the healthiest foods (according to the World Health Organisation). Traditionally made using rice and urad dal and evolving over the years to suit locality specific palettes, idli has come a long way and how. Despite the rise of fast foods such as burgers and pizzas taking over, the humble idli has been able to retain its popularity and rule the roost. If you’re someone who can’t get enough of this South Indian favourite, here are a few facts about this nutritious food item, that’ll blow your mind:
1. A 20 gm idli has just 39 calories, which means an average person can eat about 52 idlis to meet the daily calorie requirement. Isn’t that the best thing ever?
2. Idlis contain only 3 grams of saturated fat and no cholesterol. Consuming less than 16 grams of saturated fat and 300 milligrams of cholesterol lessens your risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke
3. Idli has been around for quite some time now, since 700 CE.
4. Idlis are easily digestible, which strengthens the point of them being very healthy breakfast choices.
5. While most of us consider idlis to be a South Indian dish, historians are yet to settle the debate as Gujarat and Indonesia have also staked claim to the humble dish If you haven’t yet treated yourself to a plate or two of hot idlis, here are some easy variations to help you get started:
Tossed Salad With Crisp Idli
Watch your leftover idlis transform into a lip-smacking delight as you toss them with bell peppers and other ingredients.
Idli Pizza Muffins
A fusion of two cuisines - Here’s an Italian twist to the popular south-Indian breakfast, we bet this one will leave you wanting for more.
Idlis with the goodness of jowar and ragi – the perfect combination of health and taste.
Green Moong Idlis
What better way to kick-start the day than with these mouth-watering and nutrient-rich green moong idlis!
Idli With Mushroom And Cheese Toppings
For the complete recipe, click here
Mushrooms and cheese are a match made in heaven and when you add idlis to the mix, the combination is even better.
(With contribution from Mohit Chotrani and Annabelle D’Costa)
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories