Come February, Chinese communities across the world begin preparations to bring in the Chinese New Year. According to the traditional Chinese calendar, 2019 marks the end of the 12-year cycle of animals which appear in the Chinese zodiac and is the Year of the Pig which began on February 5, 2019, and will last until January 24, 2020. The twelfth and final sign in the Chinese zodiac, the pig, symbolises restoration, reflection, renewal and benevolence, which are also the themes for the year.
Asian restaurants across the country are celebrating the Chinese New Year with specially-curated menus, some with treats inspired by the Year of the Pig. Here’s a list of 8 restaurants in Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru and Kolkata that are bringing the Chinese New Year festivities closer to you!
1) MUMBAI: Dashanzi, JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu
Menu Highlights:You will be spoilt for choice as you are offered Crispy Fish Fingers with Teriyaki Glaze, Seaweed Tofu Miso Soup, Butter Pepper Salt Asparagus Mixed Vegetables, Steamed Zaichai Mini Bun, Scallop and Lobster Suimai, Pan-fried Pomfret with a fragrant Chili Lemon Sauce, Braised Lamb Leg which is a chef’s special and Wok-tossed Lotus Root in Chilli Vinegar.
When:Up to February 10, 2019; 6 pm to 12:30 am
2) MUMBAI: KOKO, Lower Parel
Menu Highlights:Pick from mains like Fortune Singapore Chilly Crab and Golden Roasted Garlic Chicken. The Prosperity Aromatic Duck with Pancakes, which is also available in a vegetarian option, is a must-try! For the vegetarians, there are treats like Golden Charcoal Cottage Cheese Dumplings and the Kappa Avocado Maki.
When:Up to February 10, 2019; Noon to 4 pm and 7 pm to 1 am
Also Read:Home-style Chilli Chicken Recipe, make the Desi Chinese favourite at home!
3) KOLKATA: Studio – The Pan-Asian Gallery, Novotel Kolkata Hotel and Residences, NewtownStudio – The Pan-Asian Gallery invites you to relish a diverse Chinese gourmet buffet this Chinese New Year.
Menu Highlights:The exclusive dinner buffet includes a refreshing welcome mocktail followed by authentic Chinese dishes such as the Steamed Crystal Shrimp Dumplings, Scallion, Stir-fry Lamb and Bok Choy. Leave room for sweet treats because there are Banoffee Pie and Salted Caramel Kaffir Lime Tart on offer.
When:Up to February 10, 2019; 7 pm to 11:30 pm
Also Read:How to make the most of a buffet
4) NEW DELHI: The Hong Kong Club - Andaz Delhi, Aerocity The Chinese New Year tasting menu at The Hong Kong Club – Andaz, crafted by Chef Fu Hai and his team, treats you to a variety of seafood, meats, poultry, a selection of vegetarian options, and zodiac-inspired cocktails.
Menu Highlights:Do not miss the limited Cantonese delicacies on offer such as Crispy Taro, Cantonese Tofu, Crispy Red Snapper Fish and Bok Choy Braised Shitake Mushroom to name a few. Sip on the zodiac cocktail Acorn which is an ode to the Year of the Pig.
When:Up to February 10, 2019
Also Read:Check out these Desi Chinese recipes of vegetarian starters
5) MUMBAI: Emperor’s Court, Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel
Menu Highlights:Choose from dishes like Mala Tofu, E-fu Noodles, Cantonese Pork Spare Ribs and Xinjiang Lamb Pilaf, to name a few.
When:Up to February 17, 2019; 7 pm to 11:30 pm
6) BENGALURU: InAzia, Sheraton Grand Bengaluru Whitefield Hotel & Convention Center, WhitefieldThis Chinese New Year, savour some bold and delicious flavours from China at InAzia, the speciality Asian restaurant. Choose from a delectable spread of carefully selected dishes that are believed to bring good fortune and abundant wealth in the Year of the Pig.
Menu Highlights:Expect specialities like the Bi Fenf Tang Prawn, Peking Braised Duck with Brandy, Fresh Red Chilli, and Crabmeat Asparagus Sweet Corn Soup which are sure to find their way to your heart.
When:Up to February 20, 2019; 12 pm to 3 pm and 7 pm to 11 pm
7) MUMBAI: Hakkasan, Bandra Raymond Wong, head chef at Hakkasan, has put together a special menu to celebrate Chinese New Year by using ingredients believed to bring good luck and prosperity, keeping with the theme of the Year of the Pig. The celebratory menu features soups, small eats, wok dishes, noodles, desserts and a festive cocktail too.
Menu Highlights:In the small eats, don’t miss the Three-style Mushroom Dumplings which the expat chef has styled in the shape of a fish, a symbol of prosperity in Chinese culture. The Shacha Chicken Puff, presented in the shape of a lotus, symbolises long life and honour. For the mains, sample the Asparagus and Shimeji Mushroom in Champagne-Honey Sauce, Wok-fry Lobster, believed to be a symbol of unity in Chinese culture, and the Hand-pulled Noodles which symbolise longevity. To end your meal on a sweet note, Hakkasan offers Wealth Pot, a six-layered dessert, and the Fortune Macaron. Give your meal some liquid company with Liao Liao, a cocktail that features dried Rosella-infused vodka and kumquat (orange citrus fruit).
When:Up to February 24, 2019; Noon to 4 pm and 7 pm to 1 am
Also Read:Mooncake festival, the other Chinese festival celebrated with much fanfare
8) MUMBAI and KOLKATA: Yauatcha, Bandra Kurla Complex; BallygungeIn a one-of-a-kind collaboration of food, culture and fashion, for Chinese New Year, Yauatcha has collaborated with fashion designer Masaba Gupta in 2019. The special New Year menu features several celebratory dishes, traditionally eaten around this time in China, along with some new additions.
Menu Highlights:Dim sums for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians that symbolise wealth await you at Yauatcha. Also on offer are woks such as the Stir-fry Chicken in Chilli Oil with Sugar Snap, Shallot and Leek, and the Stir-fry Asparagus, Lotus Root and Yam Bean in Pumpkin Sauce. For a sweet ending, try the limited-edition mandarin-flavoured macaron that features a pig in gold stencil designed by Masaba Gupta. Don’t forget to sip on their exclusive Chinese New Year cocktail, Nagami Fortune, which features Beefeater, Kumquat Marmalade, Raspberry Cordial and Lime Juice.
When:Up to February 28, 2019
Lead image: Shutterstock
Lead image: Shutterstock
To feed your hunger for more
Want more? Click on the tags below for more videos and stories