Yule Log By Sayoni Bhaduri
A simple sponge cake that is rolled and decorated to resemble a piece of wooden log. This cake is a special baked dessert made for Christmas the history goes to back to a pre-Christian era--the word Yule comes from Nordic Juul, which means Winter Solstice.Read More
- 4 Eggs, yolk and egg whites separated
- 120 grams Sugar
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 120 grams All Purpose Flour
- Some oil
- For the Filling
- 350 gms sweetened Chetnut Puree
- For the Syrup
- 1 litre water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- Preheat your oven to 200⁰ Celsius.
- Mix and beat the egg yolks with sugar, vanilla sugar and all-purpose flour until the content is almost light pastel yellow in colour.
- Then beat the egg white stiff until you have a stiff snow; test that the egg whites are stiff enough by turning the bowl with the snow upside down, it shouldn't fall out.
- Fold the egg whites carefully into the previously prepared egg yolk mixture; the aim should be that the mass remains fluffy to a certain extent and everything is well incorporated.
- Keep a large rectangle baking tray ready with a baking sheet/parchment; oil the baking sheet lightly with a kitchen brush.
- Add the whole mass on the parchment and spread it out evenly with a baking spatula.
- Bake the dough for more or less 10 minutes golden brown at 200⁰ Celsius.
- While the dough is baking, prepare a syrup of water, sugar and rum; mix and heat it up until the sugar is molten.
- Once the cake mass is baked but still warm, pour the syrup equally all over the cake mass; this will help to keep the yule log soft and juicy from the inside.
- Next, spread the chestnut puree equally all over the mass and roll in carefully to create the roulade.
- As the final step, melt cooking chocolate and cover the whole roulade evenly with the molten chocolate.
- Then cut off both ends diagonally and place on top of the chocolate on the yule log; this will give the impression of a log stump on both ends.
- Add the rest of the chocolate on all ends so that the yule log is completely covered in chocolate.
- Rest it in refrigerator to set.
- Make a spray by mixing white chocolate coco butter and edible green colour.
- Spray yule log with green colour chocolate and cocoa butter spray.
- You can embellish the yule log with marzipan figurines and icing sugar decorative pieces.