A healthy version of sweet made with jaggery instead of sugar. NOTE: For one cup of vermicelli, 1/4th cup of jaggery is sufficient for those who do not prefer the dish to be very sweet.Read More
- Roasted Vermicelli-1 cup
- Toned milk- 1 litre
- Jaggery(powdered)-1/4 cup
- Ghee-1 tbsp
- Water-1/2 cup
- Dry fruits-raisins, cashew and badam
- Cardamom-1/2 tsp
- Kesar strands-few
- Take a kadai and add 1 tbsp of ghee.
- When the ghee is hot, add the dry fruits and roast them on low flame until golden brown.
- Take out the dry fruits from the kadai.
- In a small vessel, add powdered jaggery and water and allow it to melt.
- Turn off the flame once the jaggery melts completely.
- Into the same kadai, pour the milk and allow it to boil on medium flame.
- Stir continuously to avoid formation of cream.
- Once the milk starts boiling, add the vermicelli.
- Keep stirring continuously until the the quantity of milk reduces to half.
- Reduce the flame from medium to low.
- Pour the jaggery water into the kadai and mix well for another 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add the dry fruits, kesar strands and cardamom powder into the kheer.
- Mix well.
- Once the kheer comes to room temperature, transfer it into a smaller vessel and store it in the refrigerator.
- Serve cold.