Undhiyu By Maharaj Jodharam Choudhary
Undhiyu is a winter special Gujarati main course dish. It is made using over 20 ingredients, including winter vegetables of the state, spices, and muthiyas.Read More
60 - 120 Min
- 6-8 green garlic
- 3-4 baby brinjal
- 50 gm fresh tuvar dana
- 50 gm fresh lilva dana
- 6-8 small potatoes
- 100 gm sweet potatoes
- 100 gm yam
- 25-30 broad beans (surti papdi)
- 2 raw banana
- 30 gm sugar
- 10 gm tamarind
- 5 tbsp scraped coconut
- 4 green chillies
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 2 inch ginger
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp whole cumin
- 1 tsp ajwain
- Salt as per taste
- Muthiyas, as per preference
- Wash, peel off and dice potatoes, yam, sweet potatoes, and raw bananas.
- Wash Brinjal and slit them into four without cutting the stem.
- Make a paste of garlic, green chillies and ginger and mix cut coriander.
- Stuff in this mixture in potatoes and brinjal.
- String beans and cut into one-inch long pieces.
- Heat up oil in a thick-bottomed handi, mix in asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle mix in ground Masala and broad beans.
- Put the rest of the vegetables in layers one on top of the other.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir-fry for five minutes on high flame heat.
- Pour out one cup of water, cover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) on a very low heat up for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in fried Muthiyia and again simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 15 minutes.
- Shake the vegetables occasionally but do not use a spoon to stir.
- Serve hot decorated with scraped coconut coriander leaves, kowta chutney, bajra rotla, puri.