Undali / Ammani Kozhukattai By Prabhakar Subramanian
Undali / Ammani Kozhukattai
It is a steamed rice dumpling and makes for a great snackRead More
- Rice flour – 2 Cup
- Water – 4 Cups
- Urad Dal – ½ cup
- Red chillies – 3 nos
- Mustard Seeds for tempering
- Curry leaves
- Soak the Urad dal in water for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the soaked urad dal to a mixie and grind to a paste along with red chillies and salt as required. A pinch of hing (asafoetidis recommended.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel pour 4 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add half a spoon of oil and a pinch of salt. Add the rice flour to boiling water and keep stirring it till it forms a dough all the while ensuring there are no lumps.
- Allow the dough to cool a bit. Once you are able to handle the heat, grease your hands and knead the dough evenly and start making mini balls of dough.
- In a pressure cooker grease a vessel and steam cook the mini dough balls (don’t use weight and cook to a whistle).
- Now take frying pan and temper the mustard seeds with some curry leaves and some oil.
- Transfer the urad dal batter and add two spoons of oil.
- Ensure that the mixture is cooked by stir frying them.
- Lastly transfer the steamed dough balls into the urad dal mix and stir fry them for a couple of minutes.
- Serve it warm. Makes a great snack.