Ulandogre By Lokesh
Ulandogre is a classic dish from Tamil brahmin household, handed down to me by my mother. This dish has been a part of all our auspicious occasions from atleast a century . It's also served as a part of Prasadam at Vaishnava temples across Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.Read More
Preparation time- 15 to 20 minutes. Cooking time- 10 to 12 minutes
- Urad dal- 5 to 6 tablespoons
- Pepper- 1to 2 tablespoon
- Red chillies ( Byadag- 7to 8
- Ghee - 5to 6 tablespoons
- Basmati rice- 200 grams
- Curry leaves- handful
- Cashew nuts- 50 grams
- Grated dried coconut/ khopra - 1 bowl
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1 pinch
- For masala powder- In a pan, roast 4 tablespoons of urad dal, 1&1/2 tablespoons of pepper and 4 to 5 Byadagi red chillies seperately with half teaspoon of ghee individually.
- Cool them and grind them together into a coarse powder (Consistency of semolinand keep separatel.
- Cook 200grams rice and set it aside.
- Into a seperate pan, heat 4 tablespoons of ghe.
- Add 1 tablespoon urad dal into the pan and wait until it turns slightly brown.
- Break 2-3 red chillies by hand into smaller chunks and add into the pan.
- Add 50grams oda handful of curry leaves into the same pa.
- Turn off the flame once the cashews are golden brow.
- Add the contents of the pan, 2-3 tablespoons of the prepared masala powder, a bowl of grated khopra, salt to taste and a pinch of sugar into the cooked rice.
- Mix them all together and serve ho.