Traditional Andhra Aavakaya/Raw Mango Pickle By kalyani
Traditional Andhra Aavakaya/Raw Mango Pickle
The most popular pickle ,its not exaggerating to say you may not find any house hold in Andhra/Telangana without this pickle.Read More
- Raw Mango pieces : 5 cups
- Gingelly/Til oil : 500ml
- Red Chilli Powder : 1 cup
- Salt : 3/4 cup
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 cuo
- Fenugreek Seeds : 1tbsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1tbsp
- Garlic : 15 - 20 cloves
- Turmeric : 1tsp
- Soak the raw mangoes in water for 2 hours, clean each mango properly and dry them on a cloth .
- Make sure that there is no dampness and cut the mangoes into 1 inch pieces .
- Dry these mango pieces on a clean and dry cloth for an hour .
- Sundry the mustard seeds,dry roast fenugreek seeds and cumin and cool down.
- Now grind mustard,fenugreek and cumin into fine powder.
- Now take a wide bowl,add red chilli powder,salt, turmeric ,mustard ,fenugreek and cumin powder and mix well to make sure no lumps formed and mixture is evenly mixed.
- Heat a wok, add gingelly oil and heat iput off the flame and cool down.
- Now once the oil is cooled down take the spice powder mixed bowl add the oil slowly and keep mix all together slowly using hands.
- Now add the mango pieces handful at once and mix well so that the pieces are coated welRepeat this for alll the mango pieces and make sure the mixture is coated uniformly to all the pieces.
- Now cover this properly and keep aside for three days .
- For three days take out the pickle mixture and using a dry spoon or ladle mix it welDo this for three days.
- On fourth day transfer the pickle to a dry ceramic jar or a glass jar.
- Take a small amount of the pickle for regular use and keep the jar lid tightly closed using a muslin cloth so that the pickle wont get exposed to the moisture or outside air.this makes the pickle last longer.