Thalassery chicken biriyani By Neethu Nambiar
Thalassery chicken biriyani
Winner - Your Recipe Contest Week 2
It is a district cuisine of northern kerala, it is made using an aromatic rice called kaima/ jeerakashala instead of regular basmati rice. It is a blend of spices and chicken .Read More
5 - 6 persons
Prep time : 15mins, cooking time 45mins
- Onions 3 nos sliced
- Tomato 1 small chopped
- ginger garlic paste 2tbsp
- green chillies 7 to 8 nos
- Curd 1/4 cup
- spices : cloves , cardamom, star anise, bay leaf, cinnamon
- Ghee 3 tbsp
- Cashews and raisins for garnish
- Garam masala powder 1tsp
- poppy seeds 1tsp
- Jeera rice 1.5 cup (washed and soaked )
- Chicken 500grams
- Salt as required
- water : 21/4 cups
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander leafs handful
- mint leafs handful
- saffron a pinch
- Lemon juice of one lemon
- Heat ghee In a heavy bottom pan, add sliced onions and sauté till it is light brown in color.
- Once it is done grind ginger garlic Green chillies and poppy seeds into a paste and add this paste and sauté till the raw smell goes.
- Now add tomatoes and cook it is mushy .
- Add turmeric and chicken and cook well .
- Once chicken starts releases water add garam masala and curd and salt and cook for 8 mins , then add the corinader and mint leafs and mix well and cook.
- Now take another pot add ghee once it’s hot add the raw spices and sauté well, to this add washed rice and roast for a min, now add water and lemon juice and cover and cook the rice.
- Once the chicken is cooked well we can layer it with rice and Dum it.
- In a pan heat ghee and fry cashews and raisins and onions ( one at a timand keep aside.
- Next step is layering.
- Take the little rice and spread over the masala evenly, on top that add fried onions, cashews and raisins , now again layer it rice and top of it raisins and cashews and finally add saffron which is diluted in water .
- Close the pan and slow cook on flame for 8mins.
- Now turn off the stove and leave it for 30mins before opening .
- Biriyani is served with raita, coconut mint chutney and you can as well add boiled egg ( which is optionaand pickle.