Tandoori chicken By Shantanu Babhulkar
Tandoori chicken is a chicken dish prepared by roasting chicken marinated in yogurt and spices in a tandoor. Roasting chicken in a tandoor gives it a delicious taste and enhances the flavor of spices.Read More
- 500 gm chicken
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 3/4 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp tandoori chicken masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- To a mixing bowl add yogurt. Next add in ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, redchilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, tandoori chicken masala, kasuri methi, black pepper powder and salt to taste. Pour oil and lemon juice as well.
- Mix everything well. The marinade as to be thick and not of dripping consistency. Taste it and add more salt and chilli powder if needed.
- Make deep gashes over the chicken and add into the bowl. Marinate chicken well into the gashes.
- Cover and set aside for at least 6 hours. If you reduce marination time chicken will not turn soft and juicy.
- Heat the pan. Spread 1-2 tbsp oil. When oil turns hot place the chicken on the tawa and regulate the heat to medium.
- After 3-4 mins flip the pieces. Flip them again after 3-4 mins.
- Flip them. Cook on the both sides until soft and cooked. If it looks too dry smear some soft butter.
- This step is optional unless you want to smoke the chicken. Burn the charcoal. When it turns hot drop it in a cup, immediately pour 1-2 tsp ghee. It will smoke immediately.
- Finally cover it and allow to smoke for 5 to 7 mins.
- Before smoking the tandoori chicken, do check if it is cooked well. The meat should fall off the bone easily.
- Serve tandoori chicken with sliced onions, carrots and lemon wedges.