Surati Sev Khamani
Its a Gujarati recipe made with chana dal and well garnished with sev. The appetizer has a crispy-crunchy-soft texture all in a bite. Coriander leaves and pomegranate make the appetizer a refreshing meal. It could be had in breakfast or as a tea time snack. Pleasing to eyes and soothing to palate.Read More
- For Paste
- Chana Dal - 3/4 cup (150 gram
- Curd - 1/2 cup (50 gram
- Green Chilli - 2
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/2 pinch
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Eno Fruit Salt - 1/2 tsp
- For Tadka
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilli - 1
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Lemon - 1
- Water 1 cup
- For Garnishing
- Green Coriander chopped
- Nylon Sev
- Soak Chana daal for minimum 3 to 4 hrs or overnight.
- Now add all the ingredients mentioned for making the paste except eno fruit salt in a mixer jar and churn it until smootYou can add little water if the mix is bit stiff.
- Now on a gas stove take a big pan for steaming and add water to it, let that water boiPlace the stand in the pan.
- Now take a rectangular tin used for steaming and grease it by using normal refined oi.
- Add eno fruit salt to the mix and pour the mix into the tiPlace that tin on the stanCover the mix with a lid that has holes for the release of steam and let it steam for at least 15 minutes.
- After 15 min, open it and check it by pricking the knife through its centeKnife should come out clean, if not cover it again for 5 minutes or until its done.
- Take out the tin and let it rest and cool for a whilOnce it is at room temperature, cut the steamed dhokla into rectangular pieces and keep it aside on the plate.
- Crumble the dhokla rectangles with light hand and keep it aside.
- Now for the tadka, in a small pan add oil to it add mustard seeds and wait until it crackleNow add green chilies and few curry leaves to iSwitch off the gas and add sesame seeds to it and mix.
- Switch on the flame and add water and sugar to the tadka and bring it to boil.
- Let the tadka cool down and then add lemon to it.
- Add the crumbled khaman to the tadka and mix with light hands so that it maintains its texture.
- Transfer it into the serving bowl.
- Garnish it with coriander, nylon sev and few pomegranate seeds.
- You can enjoy sev khamani jus like that or with khatti dahi ki curry and you are good to go!.