Spicy and crispy idli By Madhumati Kumari Vavilala
Spicy and crispy idli
Soft, crispy and healthy idli variation ⚪⚪⚪ You would want more of them😇Read More
- 1 small cup-Urad dal
- 5 small cups Idli Rava
- Salt - as per taste
- Water for soaking and grinding the idli batter
- For topping - 2 large sized onion
- 10 - Green Chillies
- Coriander leaves chopped - 1 cup
- 1/2 - tsp Cumin seeds
- Tomatoes (optional)
- Wash and soak the Urad dal in a bowl in sufficient amount of water for 2 to 3 hrs.
- After 2/3 hrs in a wet grinder, grind it into batter by mixing and adding little water intermittentlBatter should be a fluffThen pour it in a large utensil as we need to mix idli rava into i.
- Take the amount of idli rava mentioned in a separate utensil and wash it 2 to 3 times and drain out the water.
- Add this idli rava into the Urad dal batteMix thoroughly and add salt as required.
- Let it ferment overnight or for 6/8 hrs.
- After the stipulated time for fermentation, mix it in lightly in a circular movement just 2 or 3 times and make sure it is of pouring consistency for idli.
- Chop the said vegetables finely and keep them readI did not add tomatoes as they become mushy.
- Grease the idli mould with ghee or oil and pour the batter into each one.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped onions, green chillies and cumin seeds as topping on idlis.
- Steam the idlis for 5/7 minutes over medium flame.
- Remove them from the moulds gently after 2 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick tawa or pan, apply oil well.
- Take the idlis (3/4 at a time only), put them in the tawa/pan and press them very gently with a flat spatula.
- Once you are sure the side of idlis touching the tawa is a bit crispy, turn them over and let it cook on the other side too in a similar way.
- Slide them over, one at a time, gently in a plate.
- Serve them with coconut chutney or ginger chutney.
- You can keep these idlis ready and can fry them whenever needed!.