Shahi Tukda By Mohd Maqbool Ahmed Aziz
Winner - Your Recipe Contest Week 5
As the name suggests, the dish has connections with the royals. Having its roots in the Mughlai cuisine, Shahi Tukda is a rich creamy royal dessert, made up of bread, condensed milk, saffron and dry fruits. It is prepared during all festivities and happy occasions”Read More
0 1 hour 10 minutes (cook time- 1hour, prep time- 10 mints)
- 6 slices White bread slices
- 1.5 litre Full cream milk
- 15-20 strands Saffron
- 2-3 pods Cardamom
- 3/4 + 1/4 cup Sugar
- Ghee for frying
- Slivers of almonds and pistachios to garnish and sliver leaves.
- 1/2 tsp Rose Water
- 1/2 cup of Condensed Milk/ Milkmaid
- Cut the corners of bread slices and cut the slices diagonally.
- Heat the ghee and when it is hot, deep fry the bread slices till golden brown. So make sure the ghee is not too hot and fry the bread slices on medium-low heat until they are golden brown.
- Remove on a tissue lined plate.
- Heat water in a pan and add 1/2 cup of sugar to it. Add cardamom to the water. Let it boil for 6-8 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and keep aside.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan. When it comes to a boil, add saffron and rose water and reduce the heat and let it simmer till it reduce to half.
- Now add 1/2 cup condensed milk to it. It will fasten the process of making the rabdi. Make sure to reduce the amount of sugar as mentioned in the recipe if using condensed milk.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Add sugar and thicken it a little more.
- Dip bread slices in sugar syrup for 5-10 seconds. ( or more if you like softer version ).
- Keep them on the serving plate.
- Top with the reduced milk/Rabdi.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios slivers and Chandi Vark.
- Serve immediately.