Shahi modak biryani By Girish Sonawane
Shahi modak biryani
Its an modification the authentic maharastraian curry known as modakachi amti by giving it an special biryani touch. As per various research and findings about the related recipe there is no such recipe combination and thats why it makes it an unique dish .Read More
30 mins for preparation and 40 mins for cooking
- 150 grams of gram flour
- 5 onions chopped and sliced
- 1 bowl of fried onions
- 1 bowl of mint and corriander leaves each
- 1/2 cup of curd,
- 1 cup paste of fried onion and coconut
- 3 tbsp on ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 2 tbsp of popy seeds
- 3 tbsp of each red chilli, turmeric powder , garam masala
- 3 tbsp of everest biryani masala
- 300 gms of half cooked basamti rice
- Oil and ghee as required
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Take a bowl and add gram flour , salt , oil and water as required for dough and keep it aside.
- Take pan and keep the pan on medium flame add 1 tbsp oil to it , and add chopped onion by adding salt to it and saute it.After the onion change its colour add grated coconut , popy seeds , ginger garlic paste and saute it till it becomes golden brown in colour and add paste of fried onion and coconut to the mixture and saute it on low flame .
- Add red chili powder, tumeric powder, garam masala and 1 spoon lemon juice , and pinch of sugar to the mixture and saute it well . After that remove the mixture on plate and let it cool.
- Take the dough and knead it again to make it smooth. After that take a small ball of dough and knead it into a small puri, spread a little oil at the base, and petals as we make for ukadiche modak.
- Fill the stuffing and close the modak.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan, add sliced onion and saute till its gets nice brown colour. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell from ginger garlic goes away.
- Add coriander powder and red chilli powder add everest biryani masala , after that add mint and coriander leafs to onion mixture and make the flame low so the mixture cools then add half cup curd to it saute it and add little water, cover the pan with lid cook till oil starts loosing out from the spices.
- Add stuffed modak to gravy add add 1 cup of water to the gravy and cover with lid till the modak gets cooked.
- After the modak gets cooked take them out in a plate , now add 1/4th of half cook rice to the gravy and saute it , after that add modaks to it then again add 1/2 of the rice add 1 tbsp ghee upon it with fried onion along with mint and corriander leaves. Add little saffron water over it then repeat the procedure for remaining rice. Cover with the lid till vapour starts appearing upon the lid .
- After the biryani is cooked , place a red charcoal in bowl and place it in pan add ghee to it and close the lid so the rice gets the smoky flavour. Hence the biryani is ready.
- Place the biryani in plate garnish it with corriander leaves , and serve it with raita.