Pudina Pongal By Shazia Khan
Mint is a natural coolant for the body and imparts an amazing flavour to the food. Chef Shazia Khan uses this herb to make Pongal, a wholesome and yummy meal that is perfect for a pregnant woman.Read More
- 11/4 cup Rice (soaked for 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split), soakedfor 20 minutes
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 5 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee
- Salt , to taste
- FOR PASTE
- 1 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 inch Ginger
- To TEMPER
- Make a paste of mint/pudina, coriander, green chilli and ginger using a mixer grinder and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, black pepper and let it crackle.
- Add the soaked rice and dal and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the mint coriander paste and saute for a minute.
- Add 5 cups of water, season with salt and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles and keep aside.
- In the meantime prepare the tadka by heating ghee in a small tadka pan.
- Add in the cumin seeds, black peppercorns, dry red chillies and let it crackle.
- Add the cashew halves and curry leaves and fry until cashew turn golden.
- Once the pressure has been released, open the lid and mash the pongal mixture.
- Add in the tadka over it and Serve.
Popular Recipe Blogs
Explore our Popular Stories.