Lauki Kofta Curry By
Lauki Kofta Curry
Kofta curry that is simple to make, can be made richer if required. This is my recipe, which I have been making for over 30 years now! Everyone enjoys it and it can be termed as a vegetarian special dish that can be used for entertaining guests. Kids will love lauki or dudhi or Bottle Gourd koftas!Read More
- 1 medium ( 400 gms) bottle gourd peeled and grated, 3 large onions finely chopped, 5-6 tomatoes liquidized in mixer with some of the sliced onion, 1 tea spoon ajwain, 4-5 large spoons gram flour ( besan)4-5 green chillies chopped finely, 2-3 tea spoon red chilli powder
- 12 garlic cloves and 2 inch cube of ginger crushed together to make a paste, 1 tea spoon turmeric powder, 1 tea spoon garam masala powder, 2 tea spoons coriander powder, 2 tea spoon cumin powder, salt to taste, chopped coriander leaves
- Oil for frying koftas, 4-5 tablespoon oil for the curry, a pinch or two of chat masala.
- For the koftas - lightly squeeze out juice from lauki and keep is aside.
- Add 2-3 green chilles, one chopped onion, ajwain, 1 tea spoon each of corrainer powder, cumin powder, half tea spoon red chilli powder, some chopped coriander leaves.
- Add gram flour, spoon by spoon till you get a slightly thick consistency to make pakodas/koftas.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan and fry the koftas till golden brown, make sure not to burn them.
- Put them on to a kitchen tissue to drain out excess oil.
- In another pan, use some of the remnant oil from frying koftas, make sure only to use the clear portion, else use fresh oil.
- Heat the Oil.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste, 1-2 green chillies, add in onions, fry till soft, add salt to taste.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and fry for a minute.
- Now add in the tomato puree.
- Cook till puree starts boiling, now add in the koftas and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder, a little chat masala and coriander leaves, switch off the gas.
- Serve in a Serving Bowl.
- In order to give it a better flavour, I sprinkle Tandoori Masala powder or Chicken Masala Powder and a pinch of sugar in the end.