Khotto and hinga chutney. By Madhavi Pai Bhandarkar
Khotto and hinga chutney.
This recipe belongs to state karnataka,where people use jackfruit leaves to make basket in which idli batter is filled and this idli is known as khotto and hinga chutney is asofietate chutney.Read More
- 2 cup split black lentil (urad dal)
- 8 cups of rice semolina (idli rava, rice rava
- Salt to taste
- 30-35 jackfruit leaves baskets(khotto)
- 1 bowl grated coconut
- 4-5bedgi mirchi
- Marble size tamrind
- Marble size hing or 1 TSP hing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for tadka
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Grind the batter for these idlis on the previous night of preparation.And to make a batter, soak urad dal for a minimum of 30 minutes. Wash them well and drain all the water. Grind them using as little water as possible into a smooth paste. I suggest using a wet grinder over a blender, for a super smooth batter. Transfer the ground batter into a big vessel. Add in rice semolina, salt and mix well. The batter tends to rise on fermentation so use a bigger vessel.We need a semi-thick batter and not a very thick batter. The batter should fall off the ladle easily. So, add a little water if required. Be careful not to add excess.Keep the batter closed aside and allow it to ferment overnight for a minimum of 7-8 hours on hot days and 10-12 hours during winter.
- Get your steamer going and once the water is rolling hot start filling the batter into jackfruit leaves baskets.Pour the batter into jackfruit leaves basket by folding one of the 4 leaves of the woven basket. Use a ladle or your hand, whichever you are comfortable with.Place them one by one into the steamer, close and steam them for 20-30 minutes on a medium flame depending on the size and number of khotto's you're steaming.After steaming, open the lid and put it back on with a little space for steam to escape. Don't close it fully to prevent steam from trickling onto the idlis.
- Khotto is ready to serve.
- Hinga chutney .
- Roast chillies, grated coconut and hing.Add tamrind and grind it to a smooth paste. Heat 2 tbsps oil. Add a tsp of mustard and after it splutters add 2 sprigs curry leaves. Drop it into the chutney. Mix well. Serve with khotto.