Karela and Olive Biryani By Gautam Mehrishi
Karela and Olive Biryani
This tangy Karela and Olive Biryani will not only give you another reason to eat Karela but is also an innovative recipe for those looking to cook biryani differently. Sit back and enjoy the recipe.Read More
- 6 - 8 bitter gourds
- salt to taste
- water as required
- 1 cup soaked rice
- 2 tbsp ginger - garlic paste
- rose water
- 5 tbsp curd
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- whole spices
- 6 peppercorns
- ½ cup fried onions
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 3 tbsp cream
- 1 tsp saffron
- 6 cashew nuts
- 8 green olives
- ¼ cup milk
- Peel off the skin of bitter gourd, extract seeds from it and add the bitter gourd in a bowl.
- To the bitter gourd add salt, water and let it soak.
- In another bowl add rice, water and let it soak.
- In a bowl add ginger - garlic paste, rose water and curd.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin seeds and ghee.
- In a pan add water, salt, ghee, bay leaf, green cardamoms, cloves, black peppercorns and let it boil.
- Add turmeric powder to the bitter gourd.
- To the paste add fried onions, mint leaves, fresh coriander leaves and mix it.
- In a bowl add ginger - garlic paste, rock salt, ghee, milk and mix it.
- Dip the bitter gourd in the marination.
- In a small bowl add saffron strands, warm water and mix it.
- Boil cashew nuts and finely chop it.
- Finely chop the green olives, add red chilli powder and mix it.
- Stuff the Karela with olive mixture and marinate it in the second marination.
- In a pan add ghee and let it heat.
- Add soaked rice to the boiling water.
- In the pan add stuffed karela, fried onions and olives.
- Add milk to rice and stir it.
- Strain the rice and layer it over the olives, ghee, soaked saffron strands, fresh coriander leaves, mint leaves, fried onions and rock salt.
- Cover the edges of pan with dough and cover the pan with the lid.
- Over the lid add heated charcoal and place the pan on the sigdi to cook for 22 - 25 minutes.
- For garnish add fresh onions, mint leaves, roasted bitter gourd skin and coriander leaves.
- Karela and Oive Biryani is ready to serve.
Explore our Popular Stories.