Hyderabadi Lamb Shank By The Rustic Food Trails By Nadeem
Hyderabadi Lamb Shank
Slow cooked leg of lamb cooked in delicious sauce, seasoned with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves , ginger and garlic.Read More
- 2 lamb shanks
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 2 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 5 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder (for garnish)
- 10-12 coriander microgreens or chopped coriander
- 1 tsp dried rose petals
- salt as per your taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and sauté for half a minute. Add the sliced onions and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Add the lamb shanks and cook over high heat for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste, stir well for a couple of minutes and then add the turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Sauté for another five minutes. Add the yogurt and sauté for a further 5 minutes over high heat.
- Add the chopped tomato, stir and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until the oil separates from the masala.
- Add enough hot water to cover the shanks and bring to boil. Cover with a lid, simmer and cook until the lamb is done, approximately 2-3 hours or until the meat just falls off the bone.
- Remove from the flame and allow the shanks to cool in the liquid. Remove the shanks using a pair of tongs and strain the cooking liquid into a clean pot .
- Once the liquid is cooled, remove the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and blend the cooked tomato and onion mixture into the blender.
- Cook the strained liquid for a further 10 minutes or until reduced to the desired consistency and season to taste with salt.
- To finish, add the cooked shanks back into the sauce, cover, and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Sprinkle with garam masala powder and micro coriander/chopped coriander leaves, dried rose petals. Serve immediately .