Fried eggplants in mustard sauce By Debatree Saha
Fried eggplants in mustard sauce
The dish is made with homemade mustard sauce. Another unique thing about the dish is that it can be savoured with both rice and chapatisRead More
- Eggplants (5)
- 1 medium size onion (chopped)
- 5 green chillies
- 4-5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 tablespoon salt
- half table spoon turmeric
- 1 table spoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoon white mustard and half tablespoon black mustard
- 1 small spoon red chilli powder
- 1 small spoon cumin powder
- 1 small spoon coriander powder
- half a spoon sugar
- chopped coriander leaves
- Amchur powder
- mustard oil
- To make the sauce, soak mustard seeds and poppy seeds 3-4 in advance. in a mixture grinder, add mustard and poppy seeds along with a pinch of salt, coriander powder and 2 green chillies. make a very fine paste and leave it aside. this is the 1st step to make the sauce.
- vertically slit the the eggplants and marinate with amchur powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt, and red chilli powder. Ensure that some amount of spices also go inside the eggplants.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan and fry the eggplants. Bring it out once those are fried to perfection. Do not over-fry.
- In the same oil, add chopped garlic cloves, hing and chopped onions and cook till the onion becomes soft and start melting. Cover it with lid.
- Now add the mustard and poppy seeds mixture to it along with sugar and keep stirring on low flame until oil leaves from all sides. Cover with it and after the while it will turn thick and creamy in texture. And, the sauce is made.
- Add half cup of water and cook for a minute.
- Now add the fried egg plants, and a pinch of salt (for taste). Slit the remaining green chillies and add. Give a gentle stir, and cover with lid.
- The eggplants start getting soft by now. Sprinkle copped onion after few seconds and give a quick stir. Switch off the flame and cover with lid. Serve hot after 5-10 minutes.