Dal Khichdi By
A simple mouth-watering dish, which will leave you licking your fingers! To be served with lime pickle, papad and plain yoghurtRead More
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice use less water, grains need to be firm and separate when cooked
- 1 cup of mixed dals- tur, moong, masoor, chana - 1: 1: 0.25: 0.25 ratio. Tur and Moong dal has to be more in quantity. Adjust the ratios as you like or use only moong or tur dal.
- 1-2 chopped tomatoes diced into medium size pieces, 1 inch cube ginger finely chopped, 1 tea spoon turmeric powder, salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoon ghee, 1 teaspoon cumin, 10-12 cloves garlic slightly crushed, 7-8 dry red chillies ( badgy variety or Kashmiri if you prefer), a pinch of hing powder ( asafoetida), 8-10 Curry leaves ( kadipatta), chopped coriander
- Cook the rice and dals in 2 separate utensils in a pressure cooker.
- In a Cooking Bowl, add 1 cup water, start the gas burner.
- Add in the turmeric powder, diced tomatoes, salt to taste, sliced ginger - cook till ginger is soft.
- Khichdi tastes better if tomatoes are firm and not over cooked.
- Add in the cooked dals mixture, keep stirring on low heat, finally add in the cooked rice, heat for just 1-2 minutes.
- Switch off the gas.
- For tadka - heat the ghee, add crushed garlic cloves, cumin, dry red chillies ( break and add), Curry leaves ( slightly broken with hand) and hing - add tadka to the dal khichdi.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves over the top.
- Serve hot with pickle, papad and curd.
- A tasty and complete meal - so simple yet so tasty!.