Dahi Vada By Vishaka Chavan
Dahi vada is a popular north Indian recipe. These are made by soaking vada in thick curd. These vada are made from urad dal. The curd is topped up with tamarind chutney and some spices. Do try this delicious recipe and drop a comment for me.Read More
- 1/2 cup Urad dal
- Curd / Yogurt
- Sweet tamarind chutney
- Green chutney
- Red chili powder
- Chat masala
- Cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Shev / Bhujia
- Wash the urad dal really good and soak in enough water for at least 4 hours. Do not soak the dal longer as vade will soak more oil if you soak dal longer. Drain all the water from dal and transfer it into a blender jar. Blend the dal into thick paste. Use minimum water while blending. If you use more water while blending then vade will soak more oil while frying and these won’t have round shape of dahi vada.
- The consistency of the batter should be thick. Transfer the batter into a bowl. Add salt and mix well. Beat the batter really good for about 4-5 minutes. It should be light and fluffy. You can add grated ginger, chopped green chili, cumin seeds, curry leaves if you want. Rest the batter for about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl take curd. Add salt, sugar and a little water to adjust the consistency. Mix well and beat the curd really good and until it becomes nice and creamy. Keep the curd aside. Heat up oil in a pan. Take a spoonful mixture into a spoon and make it round by transferring the batter into another spoon. When the batter takes shape of vada drop it into hot oil. Another way of making vada is dip your hand into water and take some batter in it.
- Give it round shape of vada with the help of the edge of the bowl. Fry vada on medium heat until these get nice even golden color. Take vada out of oil, drain excess oil and transfer vade into a plate. Take water in a bowl and add some salt in it. Mix well and drop vade into it. Soak vade in water for about 7-8 minutes.
- take vade out and squeeze as much water as possible with your hands carefully. Transfer the vade into serving plate. Add curd, tamarind chutney, green chutney, red chili powder, cumin powder and chat masala. You can sprinkle some shve on it for garnishing. This is optional. You can skip shev.