Cranberry Chutney By Sayoni Bhaduri
A sweet and sour chutney inspired by the Bengali Tomato chutney.Read More
- 1 bowl dried cranberries
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash and soak the dried cranberries in water. Keep it soaked for minimum half hour.
- In a kadai, heat the mustard oil. Once it reaches smoking point add the mustard seeds and dried red chilli. Let it splutter.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with half tsp salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and mix. Cover the kadai and let the tomatoes soften on slow heat.
- Drain the cranberries, and add to the kadai.
- Add the turmeric, chilli powder, remaining salt and sugar and stir well.
- Cover and cook till the cranberries soften.
- Once the cranberries and tomatoes have soften, mash the berries a little.
- Check for sweetness, add more sugar if needed, and cook till sugar melts. The sugar will make it slightly sticky.
- Turn the heat off and let it cool.
- Serve at room temperature.