Chocolate Babka By Vedanti Shinde
A traditional Jewish dessert with a modern touch. Pretty for the eyes, delicious for the tongue and hearty for the soul.Read More
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1.5 cup chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 egg wash
- Combine the yeast in warm milk and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- For the dough, combine the egg, vanilla, 1/4 cup sugar and honey and whisk to combine.
- Add in the yeast-milk mixture, flour and 1/4 cup butter till its fully combined.
- Knead the dough until smooth and cover it with a cloth. Let it rest in room temperature for 4-5 hours or till it's doubled in size.
- For the chocolate sauce, in a bowl, add chocolate, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Once the dough has doubled, divide it into two halves and roll both the halves into rectangles.
- Spread the sauce onto the rectangles and gently roll the dough up.
- Then, use a knife to cut the rolls vertically making sure the seam is side down. This will give you four pieces.
- Take three pieces and make a braid out of it and then join it's ends such that it takes a circular shape. Take the fourth piece and lay it as a boundary for the circle. Tuck in the excess pieces of dough under the bread.
- Transfer the bread into a pre-greased baking pan and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 35 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Enjoy! .