CHICKEN BESÀRA By Kaliprasad Sahu
Poached chicken stuffed with mustard mouse and served in Odisha style gravy called Besara with some sauted vegetables and garnished with mint leaves, chilly oil, and baddi.Read More
- Chicken Breast with skin - 250gm
- For mustard paste : 1 tbsp black mustard; 1 tbsp white mustard; 1/4 tbsp cumin; 3 no. Whole Red chilli; 8-10 cloves of garlic.
- For mustard mouse : 50 gm boneless chicken; 1 tbsp mustard paste; 1 pinch turmeric; 1 tbsp fresh cream; 1 egg white; salt to taste.
- For Besara : 2 tbsp mustard oil; 1/2 tbsp panch phoran; 1 medium size onion; 3 big tomatoes; 3 tbsp mustard paste; 1/4 tbsp turmeric; 1/2 tbsp Aamchur powder; 5-6 curry leaves ; salt to taste.
- Prepare a mustard paste by blending all the ingredients listed above into a super fine paste.
- For mustard mouse, mince the boneless chicken and add it to a mixer along with all the ingredients for the mouse stuffing listed above.
- Now take the chicken breast with the skin and flatten it with a meat mallet.
- Place the mustard mouse in the center and roll the chicken with a cling wrap tightly so that it don't gets split while poaching.
- For poaching place a sauce pan and put water, let it simmer slowly at 70-80 degree centigrade.
- Now put the rolled chicken into it and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- For Besara, heat a pan with mustard oil, put panch phoran and Curry leaves, let it splutter.
- Put the onions, let it cool translucent. Don't Brown the onions.
- After that put tomatoes and salt to taste. Cook well untill it becomes soft.
- Now put the mustard paste, cook for 12-15 seconds. Just don't over cook the paste or else it will taste bitter.
- Add water as soon as the paste cook and put turmeric let it simmer for a while. Then put aamchur powder slurry.
- The gravy is ready, let it cool down then blend the mixture into a fine sauce like consistency.
- Now take the poached chicken roll saute in a frying pan with some mustard oil until it gets a light golden brown color and the skin gets crisp.
- Saute some vegetables like carrots, raddish, potatoes etc in the same pan with mustard oil.
- For plating, place the besara in the center of a plate; then cut the chicken into roundels and place it above the gravy, then garnish the veggies with some mint leaves or Curry leaves and baddi.