Caramelised Makhana By Shrddha Shetty
Swap popcorn with makhana for a healthier alternative to snacking. Best part is that is NOT made with refined sugar for a double dose of health.Read More
- 1 cup makhana or lotus seeds or foxnuts
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp black and white sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Roast Makhana on a frying pan for 7-8 mins on low to medium flame, make sure it is makhana cooked inside out.
- You may need to adjust the time of roasting (plus minus 2 mins) for the perfect crunch while also keeping the colour of makhanas intact to off white.
- Adjustment is subject to quality and packaging of makhana; Tip: Always buy air tight packed makhana.
- Cool the roasted makhanas aside.
- In the meanwhile, prepare jaggery syrup by melting jaggery with ghee on a low flame, in another pan (it would take 30 seconds to a minute).
- Do not over heat the jaggery syrup else the liquid will get a bit burnt taste.
- Quickly mix the hot jaggery syrup into the roasted Makhanas so that the syrup coats each and every makhana seeds.
- Immediately sprinkle black and white sesame seeds and sea salt into the bowl of caramelised Makhanas.
- Black and white sesame seeds to up the health quotient of this snack further and sea salt will give a contrasting yet complimenting flavour to balance the sweetness of Jaggery.