Avoli Polichattu & Ullitheeyal By Pankaj Bhadouria
Avoli Polichattu & Ullitheeyal
Chef Pankaj Bhadouria shares the recipes for two Kerala delicacies. Avoli Polichattu is a fried pomfret wrapped in banana leaf whereas Ullitheeyal is a spicy onion curry. The fish is crispy and succulent, and when served with the tangy and spicy Ullitheeyal makes for a heartwarming meal.Read More
- 1 pomfret fish
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- pink salt as per taste
- 4 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 sliced onions
- 1 tbsp finely sliced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely sliced ginger
- 8 - 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3 green chillies
- 1 banana leaf
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- Slit the pomfret. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pink salt as per taste, extra virgin coconut oil, lemon juice and it nicely over the fish. Leave it to marinate for 15 - 20 minutes.
- In a heated pan, add extra virgin coconut oil, sliced onions, finely sliced garlic, ginger and saute. Add curry leaves, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, pink salt as per taste and mix it well.
- Add finely chopped tomato, crushed black pepper powder and stir it. Add white vinegar, slit green chillies and switch off the gas.
- For ullitheeyal, add extra virgin coconut oil in a pan. Add coriander seeds and let it turn fragrant. Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, fenugreek seeds and toast it.
- Add deseeded Kashmiri red chillies and saute. Add grated coconut and toss it. Cool the mixture and prepare a fine paste of it. Add the paste in a bowl.
- In a pan, add extra virgin coconut oil, shallots and cook it until it turns golden. Add turmeric powder and mix it. Add tamarind pulp, masala, jaggery, pink salt as per taste and stir it.
- Add water and leave it to cook.
- In another heated pan, add extra virgin coconut oil and fry the fish for 2 minutes on each side.
- On a banana leaf, add curry leaves. Add the masala and fried fish. Add curry leaves and green chilli over it. Seal the banana leaf.
- Add coconut oil in a pan and the banana parcel. Leave it to cook.
- Serve the fish with ullitheeyal and rice.
Popular Recipe Blogs
Explore our Popular Stories.