Ammini Kozhukattai By divya poduval
Running out of breakfast options? Here’s one amazing breakfast from South India, originally from Tamil Nadu but popular across Kerala and Sri Lanka too. It’s called Ammini/Mini Kozhukattai. These are steamed mini rice balls tempered in curry leaves, onions and a special spice mix and served hot.Read More
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1.5 tsp udad dal
- 1-2 dried Red chillies
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- Combine rice flour, boiling water, 1 tsp oil and salt and knead into a smooth dough, keep covered for 10 mins.
- Make small, smooth balls and steam in a steamer for about 10-12 mins. Cool for about 5 mins.
- Dry roast chillies, udad dal, chana dal and sesame seeds on low heat till light brown.
- Grind coarsely along with coconut.
- Heat 2 tsp oil, add mustards seeds and let it splitter. Add curry leaves and onions and fry till onions are translucent.
- Add the Kozhukattai/rice balls and the dal mixture and stir till all the balls are coated with this mix.
- Serve hot as is or with coconut chutney.