Aloo Posto By Sayoni Bhaduri
An easy recipe for one of the most famous Bengali side dish using potatoes and poppy seeds.Read More
- 3 large potatoes, cubes
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds/ kalaunji
- 2.5 tbsp poppy seeds/khaskhas, soaked in water
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt as per taste
- In a wet grinder, throw in drained poppy seeds and 1 slit chilli.
- Whizz the grinder for a minute.
- Open the grinder lid, scrape the sides, add a one and a half tbsp of water for the seeds to form a paste, and grind for another 2-3 minutes or till the poppy seeds form a smooth paste.
- Alternatively, you can use old school silbatta for the process.
- Keep aside.
- In a karai, heat mustard oil and add the nigella seeds.
- Once the seeds start spluttering, add the remaining chilli.
- Add the potatoes to the karai.
- Make sure you stir well so that the oil and seeds coat the potatoes.
- Cover the karai and cook till the potatoes soften slightly.
- At this point add the poppy or posto paste to the potatoes and salt.
- Stir well.
- Keep and eye on the paste and add water if it gets too dry and to create a creamy coating.
- Cook till the potatoes are done.
- Serve with hot masoor dal and steamed white rice.